

Last night was an adventure to say the least. First we kiss and hug daddy goodbye and tell him to drive safely on his way up north so he can hunt for bears{yikes}. Then the kiddos and I head upstairs to get Beau ready for bed. As I change him into pjs I hear the door close and Devyn {so innocently} say I locked the door.
No big deal, right?
WRONG!
Why?
Let's backtrack shall we...
Before Beau came along, that was Devyn's room and in order to keep her from escaping during nap time we reversed the knob!
That's right REVERSED THE KNOB!I instantly go into panic mode and search the room for anything that might help. And there it was, a piece of wire that I had taken off of the back of a mirror!
Perfect!
I'm thinking, no problem I'll just pick the lock.
There's only one problem...
The knob is solid
NO HOLE to pick!
What do I do now?
I have no phone, no way to get out of this room, my husband just left for the whole weekend!
By this point I'm freaking out {a} little!
I go to the window, pull up the blinds and open it, to only be reminded that {every} window on this house has a sunscreen on it! And those suckers are on there tight!!
What now?
And even if I did get out the window and scaled down the house, my house is locked, I have no hide-a-key and no garage door opener!
In desperation I call out to some solicitors out in the street{I've never been more happy to see a solicitor in my life}!
Hey, up here in the window....
This is going to sound weird, but my daughter just locked us in this bedroom and my husband just left out of town! I need help!
Knowing that my house was most likely locked{because we are anal that way} I asked them to check. Sure enough...LOCKED.
Surprise, Surprise!
At this point I have a breakthrough!! All I need is a screw driver and I can take off the knob and get us out! Yeah!
Now I need a screw driver and a ladder, so they can get it to me.
The solicitors head next door to ask for the needed supplies. Meanwhile I find a hanger in the closet that I can use to rip a hole in the screen. Which was not easy by the way!
The solicitors return with a screw driver, more onlookers, but no ladder! So they try a few more houses with no luck and finally find one from the house across the street! Yes!
So along come a few guys from the house across the street with the ladder{one to help and the others to see the idiot locked in the bedroom}
What a way to meet the neighbors huh?
I was so grateful for their help and that I was dressed{because let's face it, I like to be in my grubbies at home and that usually includes NOT wearing a bra{not like I need one, but that's a whole different story}
It was quite the night!
30 minutes, locked in!
At least we didn't need the fire department!!
No big deal, right?
WRONG!
Why?
Let's backtrack shall we...
Before Beau came along, that was Devyn's room and in order to keep her from escaping during nap time we reversed the knob!
That's right REVERSED THE KNOB!I instantly go into panic mode and search the room for anything that might help. And there it was, a piece of wire that I had taken off of the back of a mirror!
Perfect!
I'm thinking, no problem I'll just pick the lock.
There's only one problem...
The knob is solid
NO HOLE to pick!
What do I do now?
I have no phone, no way to get out of this room, my husband just left for the whole weekend!
By this point I'm freaking out {a} little!
I go to the window, pull up the blinds and open it, to only be reminded that {every} window on this house has a sunscreen on it! And those suckers are on there tight!!
What now?
And even if I did get out the window and scaled down the house, my house is locked, I have no hide-a-key and no garage door opener!
In desperation I call out to some solicitors out in the street{I've never been more happy to see a solicitor in my life}!
Hey, up here in the window....
This is going to sound weird, but my daughter just locked us in this bedroom and my husband just left out of town! I need help!
Knowing that my house was most likely locked{because we are anal that way} I asked them to check. Sure enough...LOCKED.
Surprise, Surprise!
At this point I have a breakthrough!! All I need is a screw driver and I can take off the knob and get us out! Yeah!
Now I need a screw driver and a ladder, so they can get it to me.
The solicitors head next door to ask for the needed supplies. Meanwhile I find a hanger in the closet that I can use to rip a hole in the screen. Which was not easy by the way!
The solicitors return with a screw driver, more onlookers, but no ladder! So they try a few more houses with no luck and finally find one from the house across the street! Yes!
So along come a few guys from the house across the street with the ladder{one to help and the others to see the idiot locked in the bedroom}
What a way to meet the neighbors huh?
I was so grateful for their help and that I was dressed{because let's face it, I like to be in my grubbies at home and that usually includes NOT wearing a bra{not like I need one, but that's a whole different story}
It was quite the night!
30 minutes, locked in!
At least we didn't need the fire department!!

12 comments:
OH MY GOSH!! that is hilarious! i think about that all the time too with brynlee's handle turned around too. she did lock us in there once but scott was home so it wasnt a big deal. glad you got out! : )
THANK YOU! That makes my FIREMAN story that much more bearable. SO FREAKING FUNNY! I feel your embarrassment sister, I have been there!
Oh my! I am sorry this happened, but OMG it is the funniest thing ever! Being a mommy comes with fun times! :)
I guess that you will be hiding a screwdriver in the closet. :) That story is hilarious!!! You just made my day.
I loved reading that! You crack me up. I can totally see something like that happening to me some day. Only, I am a coward, and might have stayed locked in until we were so starving I HAD to take action. Hilarious!
Wow...what a scary 30 minutes. Good thing our brains work in times like that. I can't believe the only damage is a little cut in the screen. Lucky!
Oh my heck, Bettina! I had to read this to Trever, I got such a kick out of it! I told Trever I'd never let him go out of town again if that happened to me! At least Devyn was in there with you. Liberty locked me out of the house when i was in the garage, and I had to "calmly" tell her how to unlock it.
PS You need to get one of those garage door keypads... they're only like $30.00 :)
There's nothing like this kind of experience to make you feel alive!
Glad you were able to escape quickly. It really could have been much worse.
A great story to add to the Devyn collection.
We just switched Parker's door knob on his room last night...so I'm going to be careful that this doesn't happen to us!!!
PS. Those are some nice solicitors! I'll be honest, if I saw some lady yelling out to me, I would think she was a little crazy:) Glad they helped!
Glad you made it out! That is pretty funny though... Quick thinking on your part!
Oh my gosh Bettina! That is a nightmare come true. I for sure would have been in my g's so let's hope that never happens to me. I loved reading your story though. Glad you are all still alive!!
hey Bettina, what's your email?
Marie
Post a Comment